And Baby Makes Three

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Why I love my Grandpa

I have the coolest Grandpa EVER!! Yes you heard. I am sure you are thinking that can't be your's is better. Well let me tell you there is NO WAY. My Grandpa just celebrated his 81st birthday on the 11th of this month. But his age hasn't slowed him down AT all. He still drives truck all over the midwest. He takes care of my grandma who had a stroke a few years back.
And he still manages to keep up with all of his grandkids, and there are a lot!! 17 in all if I counted correct. And he makes the pies for all of our family holidays.

When two of my cousins and I were in Madison recently he called me, then my cousin Dee, then Allie to see if were drunk yet. At 7 that first night. Every year when a bunch of us go up to the Mall of America to do our annual shopping trip, he calls at least once usually twice. He will start with the first name in his phone and he keeps trying until he reaches someone. This year I was the first one he reached, and I wasn't there.

Every time we are together for a family function he gets out the whiskey and makes all who are old enough too do a shot. And let me tell you sometimes it is NOT good whiskey. But we all do the shot for Grandpa.

(look closely you can see the whiskey on the table, and the little disposable shot glasses)

A couple of years ago when I was really sick and the doctors here in Omaha couldn't figure out how to make me better, he called me and yelled at me a couple of times, and told me I better get my ass up to Marshfield and see what the doctors could do up there, because they did such a good job with Grandma. So I did go, and he called me every one of the 13 days I was in the hospital to find out how I was doing. And he washed, waxed and detailed my car while I was gone. Even now anytime he hears I am not feeling well, even if it's a just a cold he will call and make sure I take care of myself.

Last night he found out that I have been talking to someone for about 2 months now. I told my mom that it was time we went GPSO (GrandPa Schuler Offical). So she was talking to him last night, and mentioned it. I think he must have hung up the phone right after he heard and called me RIGHT AWAY!! Of course he called me chicken because my mom had to tell him, but he was laughing the whole time. I could tell he was really happy for me. And I think he was hoping that he would get to meet him at Thanksigiving at Dee and Nick's but that isn't going to happen just yet. Sorry Grandpa.


So as you can see he is the coolest Grandpa EVER. What other Grandpa will do all those things.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He called me too!

P

November 18, 2009 at 4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home