What's in a name?
I have 3 nicknames. That is more then other people I know. And all of them started when I was younger and still stick to this day.
To my mom I am Bear. Every email I get from her starts out with Bear in the title line. Hey Bear how is it going? Bear... I am not sure how she exactly started this, it could have come about from Tear Bear (as my first name is Tara), but I am not for sure I just know she has called me Bear for as long as I can remember.
To my dad I am Hank. Yes Hank. This comes for the fact that I am not the most cheery person you will meet. I tend to be a little cranky at times. He came up with this name for his younger sister, and he started to call me this name as I got into my teens. In all fairness. I call him Margret. (We have weird relationship). We were taking a family vacation forever ago and it was at the time there was Toyota commerical with 3 old ladies getting on the interstate, and one of them says "Punch it Margret" As we were driving on our vacation, I said this to my dad at one time to get him to drive faster, and the name has just stuck.
To my nieces, & nephew, (and most other childern I know) I am Tah Tah. This name is the oldest name for me. I was Tah Tah since I was a baby. Everyone thinks it is because my older sister couldn't pronounce my name Tara as a child, but in truth it is because I was a collicky baby, and to calm me down, my mom would said Tatatata. and out of that somehow came Tah Tah. So when my first niece was born I as Aunt Tah Tah. Most kids only know me by this name. If you ask my cousin who is 7 if he wants to go see Tara he will always ask "Who?" and then if you say Tah Tah. He says "Oh yes.". My sister has even taken to calling me this. I don't think she ever uses my real name anymore. Which is totally ok with me.
I am sure other people have some not so nice names for me. But those are the actual nicknames I have that are used on a regular basis. For better or worse I am stuck with them. They remind that people love me every time I hear them.

4 Comments:
You're right Bear comes from your name being Tara and the Care Bear era. I used to call you my Tear Bear and then just Bear which is probably what I will always call you. Carrin and Whit both had nicknames but they never stuck like yours did.
I think bear came from the fact that you were so hairy. hehehe And I totally remember the "punch it Maragret" I think I was with you because we thought it was SO funny. I'm not sure your Dad did.
I don't know if Dad minded Maragret then, but I know he sure gets a kick out of it now. He loves telling the people at work about his nickname. and when they don't believe him, he will show them an email from me that has Maragret in it, and he tells me he always gets a kick out of their reactions.
I sometimes call you Bitch! Isn't that nickname?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home